The Bauhaus was welcomed
by the mayor of Dessau in 1925. Dessau was suitable location because its heavy industry could be used to produce Bauhaus products. A modern building complex was erected out of concrete glass and steel. Gropius designed classrooms, dormitories and faculty housing that were grouped in a complete artistic community.
In response to the past criticisms of the school's curriculum, Gropius emphasized the merger of the arts and industry in studios which produced textiles, home appliances and accessories and furniture. Gropius and his successor, Hannes Meyer, were removed for their political views, and replaced by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. To eradicate the subversive elements in the student body, Mies expelled all of the students and then readmitted only the ones who were perceived as politically acceptable. (3)
Mies van der Rohe was piloting a sinking ship. He had to convince the city government that his school was not political (political meant, in this case, socialist/communist). He had a difficult time. Aside from the high number of socialist activities, the school’s population was between 10 and 50 percent foreign. In these days, the word “foreign” was virtually synonymous with “communist.”
In a last ditch effort, Mies expelled the entire student body, and readmitted select students after a personal political interview. This only drove the political organization underground, and couldn’t help the situation anyway, as the now ascendent Nazis were bent on closing the school.
The city government dissolved the college in 1932. Mies transfered his camp to Berlin, opening up a private school for architecture in Berlin, 1933, named the Bauhaus Berlin. The school entered its third and last phase.